Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas 2010

Since we couldn't afford ham this year we decided to do turkey.  So, this is my 2nd turkey I have ever made alone, I wasn't expecting much out of it.  I didn't know much about making fancy sauces for it, and when I looked at my "go to website", Allrecipes.com, at the time all the recipes seemed way above my pay grade.  I did do a little bit of research on the web just about cooking times and the such.

So, I made it like a make a chicken (which really isn't often).  I cleand the turkey and took out all that weird yucky looking stuff from inside it and tossed that out. I understand there are things you can use it for, but frankly that was too gross for me.  Then I added 3 pats of butter under the breast skin.  I took some plain old vegitable oil and painted the turkey so that is wasn't dripping but just shinned. Then I added seasoning.  I am fairly simple when it comes to seasoning, so I don't have many choices.  What I used was salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder.  Then we stuck it in the oven.  Something I read on the web said NOT to open and baste it a lot. And to turn it as anything facing the back of the oven will cook faster so to even out the cooking you need to turn it. So 1/2 way through Jeremy came out and turned it around for me, (I snuck my basting in then) and then we closed it up until it was time and the thermometer was at 170 degrees, Jeremy didn't get me 1 with a pop out timer (sigh).

Well all I can say is Jeremy said it was 1 of the best turkey's he ever ate.  That the breast meat was so juicey and tender that it melted in your mouth :)

Yippeee success 1

No comments:

Post a Comment