Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tonights Dinner Not sure how it went

So I tried my hand at Risotto.  I used the basic directions on the back for how much liquid went to how much rice. Thats what Risotto is, it's an Italian rice.  Any how, I also read a bazillion recipies on line on it and added some stuff that wasnt on the back of the bag.  I substituted broth for water, and I substituted 1/2 cup of White Wine for some broth.  I added fresh steamed asparagus, and a crap load of grated parm cheese.

This is not like making regular rice.  The 1st off i heated up some olive oil and butter in the bottom of a pot.  Then I added 1 chopped onion and garlic.  I cooked that until the onions were transparent (might have aughta used 1/2 an onion) when that was done I added my risotto so it could absorb a bit of liquid. Then I added my 1/2 cup of wine.  Then once that was absorbed in I started added my broth 1/2 cup at a time until I achieved what I think was the right consistancy. But to be honest I never ate it before, so I dont know what it should taste like.  Jeremy said it was good. It was definitely firm..but not crunchy. Ok and make sure to stir a lot, you want the liquid to absorb, and add more as needed. You are trying to make a creamy looking sauce.  After all the liquid was done and in, I added a bunch of grated cheese, that should be done to taste. Speaking of taste ALWAYS taste as you are going, because if you dont you really could be putting something that taste nasty on the table. When the asparagus was done steaming I just stired it right on it.

With that as a protien, I did medallion size rib eye steaks.  I just gave them a quick pan cooking.  I heated up olive oil and butter, I know not sure where I saw that, I think it was Paula Dean, but it does cut some of the nasty taste of that olive oil.  Anyhow I forgot to take my meat out 30 min early, you should do this, cooking meat right out of the fridge doesnt let the meat cook well.  Anyway, I seasoned it with just some meat seasoning I had.  I have no idea what is in it, but it makes meat taste good, lol.  So, dry rub done, and pan all hot I put the steaks in.  Cooked about 2 min on each side and then took out.  I also should have let it rest for about 5 min to finish off the cooking.  Some of the pieces were RARE, not MED RARE.  I like my meat to moo, Jeremy prefers med rare.  So we just had to get him the correct piece is all.

So all in all he said it was a very tasty meal.  Me, I am iffy on it.  Oh and while Alex wouldnt even get near the risotto, it had green veggy in it, he ate 2 pieces of the steak..stinker!

2 comments:

  1. lmao lucky it wasn't me that cooked i would have dump the pan of risotto on him i'm full blooded italian straight from italy u should try Fondi which is Italian Sauteed Artichoke they are better then risotto if u want the recipe let me no

    ReplyDelete