Saturday, January 8, 2011

Joni's Chili Recipe or is it Wendy's?

DO NOT TRY UNTIL YOU READ THE ENTIRE THING AND THEM MY CHANGES AT THE END.  This way you can decide what you want to do.

I'll be honest I have no idea. 

But here is what it says:

2 lbs Ground Beef
1 29oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 29oz can of Kidney Beans (in liquid)
1 29oz can of Pinto Beans (in liquid)
1/2 cup Diced Green Chilies (2 Chilis)
1 Medium Onion, Diced
1/4 cup Diced Celery (1 Stalk)
3 Medium Tomatoes, Chopped
2teaspoons Cumin Powder
3 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
1.5 teaspoons of Black Pepper
2 teaspoons of salt
2 Cups of water.

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over a medium heat, draining the fat when done.
Using a fork, bruble the beef into pea size pieces

In a large pot, combine the beef and all of the rest of the ingredients

Heat to simmering over low heat

Cook for 2 - 3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes

Serve topped with chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

Makes about 12 servings.

Ok here are the changes I made:

I did NOT add ANY water at all.  I found that by adding the juice from the beans into the pot it was plenty wet. 

I did lid my pot, it didn't say to but I found it kept it moist.

I did NOT stir every 15 minutes, are you kidding me for 2 - 3 hours with 3 kids and a husband around? Who has the time for that.

I taste tested it every 30 min.  I found that it needed LOTS more salt and LOTS more chili powder.  Now, I did not have any Cumin, thought I did, but I was wrong.  I tried reasearching on the net what was be like cumin but nothing was, and we found that it wasn't missing. But, in all fairness having not used it or even tried this recipe before I dont know what kind of difference it would have made to add it.

This was SUPER YUMMY!!! However, it was a lot of food for me and Jeremy, the kids wanted nothing to do with it. So my suggestion, Cut it in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment